Most of these papers were written during my seminary time at Beeson Divinity School at Samford University.
You may notice I’ve written a few papers regarding science and theology. It seems I’m moving toward focusing on this direction. If you see something here that looks interesting and you would like to rationally discuss the topic, feel free to e-mail me. If I’ve said something in these papers which you can prove wrong (meaning you have documented sources), I’m willing to listen. I’m not the pope or a four star general, so I’m not infallible. Note that I don’t believe the Bible is a science book, so if you do, odds are I’ll not respond to rants and raves calling me a heretic for believing in the Big Bang.
As always, if you have questions about anything here, e-mail me. If I can’t give a satisfactory answer, I’ll forward it to someone who can.
My Admissions Essay. Every Beeson applicant is required to write what they believe about the Apostles Creed and why.
Science and Theology
- Stephen Barr, Cosmology and Religion, 31 March 2011 UA.pdf delivered by Dr. Stephen Barr, Professor of particle physics, University of Delaware, at St. Francis Catholic Church, the University of Alabama. It concerns me that I doubt Dr. Barr’s lecture will ever occur in a Southern Baptist church.
- Science and Theology Based in part on John Polkinghorne’s One World: The Interaction of Science and Theology.
- Augustine and Time in Contemporary Scientific Thought Obviously not everything that could (or should) be said on the topic, but a good starter.
Church History Papers
- The History of Interpretation of Genesis 3
- From Mission Field to Mainstream: The Effect of 19th Century Missions on the Present-day Anglican Communion
Note: You’ll find most of my theology in the ancient creeds of the Church and my sermons, both of which you’ll find at New Hope’s site.
- To Choose or Be Chosen: C.S. Lewis and Predestination This paper discusses the possibility that some people are predestined to salvation while others are given the choice. Before you think this view heretical, you should download the paper, read it, and realize I don’t deny the Trinity or anything else in the Creeds. You may disagree with Lewis, but I don’t think you can ignore Lewis on this issue.
- Constructing a Christian Center regarding Church unity. The center is an uncomfortable place, but only there do we find true unity.
Resurgam A poem about St. Paul’s Cathedral and eternity.